Little Scientists Week
January 10, 2012
Attention Parents and Preschool & Kindergarten teachers!
It’s Little Scientists Week featuring Sid the Science Kid
Toledo, Ohio – All this week, January 10-15, Imagination Station will turn its focus to its youngest explorers. WGTE and Imagination Station are partnering to provide family science programming for young children ages 2-6. WGTE was one of 20 public television stations nationwide chosen to receive a $10,000 grant from the Jim Henson Company. Thanks to this grant, this year’s Little Scientist Week will feature activities from the popular Sid the Science Kid show, and even a visit from Sid himself!
These special activity tables will feature science experiments and age appropriate activities including:
- Make and Decorate a Sid the Science Kid Journal – Sid and his friends use journals to keep their findings as they discover and explore. Kids start their Little Scientists Week adventure by creating their own journal to record what they learn.
- Working Smart – Kids will learn all about how simple machines make work easier. They’ll experiment with a lever and water-filled milk jugs.
- Making Healthy Choices – Using real foods, kids will sort a variety of food items into meat, grain, fruits, vegetable, dairy and ‘sometimes’ food categories. In their journals, they’ll create their own lunch.
- Sort It Out – Kids will sort recyclables from trash and then sort recyclables into the appropriate categories- paper, plastic, glass, etc.
- Magnification Station – Give kids a magnifying glass and you’ll capture their attention! At this station, kids will be able to investigate dirt, roots and plants with magnifying glasses.
Meet Sid the Science Kid
Sid the Science Kid will be making personal appearances throughout the day Friday, January 13 – Sunday, January 15.
Sid the Science Kid Family Workshops
The education team from WGTE, Toledo’s local PBS affiliate that airs Sid the Science Kid episodes, will be on hand Friday and Saturday mornings at 11am to facilitate special Sid the Science Kid Family Workshops. This hands-on investigation is a great way for families to learn together. Families will watch clips of Sid episodes and do the corresponding activities together as a family. The workshop cost just $5 per family, $4 per family for Imagination Station members. Family Workshops are sold out!
WGTE Public Media (The Public Broadcasting Foundation of Northwest Ohio) is a non-profit organization and a center of learning and education for Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan. Founded as an educational institute in 1952, education remains at the heart of what they do every day. From entertaining, informative and educational programs that air on WGTE TV, FM 91, and Knowledgestream.org, to professional development opportunities for K-12 teachers and preschool day care providers, WGTE helps to make Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan a better place to live.
All activities (Sid the Science Kid Family Workshops excluded) are included in the cost of admission. Lucas County residents, 12 and under, receive FREE admission every Saturday when accompanied by an adult. For more information, please call 419.244.2674 or visit imaginationstationtoledo.org.
Imagination Station, located on the downtown Toledo riverfront, is a science center dedicated to delivering science and technology based programming to youth and their families throughout Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan.
In partnership with:
WHAT: Little Scientists Week at Imagination Station
Sid the Science Kid Visits
Sid the Science Kid Family Workshops
WHEN: Little Scientists Week (January 10-15)
Tuesday-Saturday: 10am-5pm; Sunday: 12-5pm
Sid the Science Kid Visits (January 13-15)
Friday & Saturday: 11am-5pm; Sunday: 12-5pm
Sid the Science Kid Family Workshops (January 13 & 14)
Friday & Saturday, 11am – SOLD OUT!
WHERE: Imagination Station
One Discovery Way
Toledo, OH 43604
ADMISSION: Big Kids (13-64) $9.00
Kids (3-12) $7.00
Seniors (65+) $8.00
Kids 2 & under FREE