Artist in Residence Program
Celebrate the 'A' in STEAM with the Artist in Residence Program
Like science, art is everywhere we look and in everything we do. Art helps tell the scientific story by bringing visuals to life. At Imagination Station, art is a part of the scientific process and why encouraging STEAM education is so valuable in our community.
Imagination Station is celebrating STEAM in our 2024 Artist in Residence program by inviting artists to create artwork that combines science and art.
The 2024 Artist in Residence Program runs from February through June and interested artists will need to submit proposals centered around one of three areas: Kinetic, Cardboard and Textiles.
Imagination Station is seeking an artist who works with kinetic or movement-based projects. For this project, Imagination Station is also interested in those who work in flight or engineering.
This project is to be completed no later than May 14, 2024. All materials costs should be included in your requested stipend total.
- Create new artwork inspired by STEAM experiences at the science center.
- Spend 6-8 days within 30 days at the science center producing work and/or engaging with families explaining the process.
- Artists must demonstrate an interest in creating artworks related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Imagination Station is looking for artists who work with Cardboard. We are interested in sculptures, bas-reliefs, objects that hang overhead, or functional items (for example furniture), to use as part of our summer Cardboard Construction Exhibition.
The work will be featured in our Building with Cardboard exhibit opening June 6th. The number of objects and size of the objects depend on the size of your work and the requested stipend amount.
- Create new artwork inspired by STEAM experiences at the science center
- Work should inspire young creators with what is possible with cardboard
- It is advantageous for artists to demonstrate a commitment to creating artwork related to science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics.
Imagination Station is seeking an artist who works in fiber arts; sewing, weaving, fashion design, costume design, quilting, and similar areas of interest.
Our Tinkering workshop will address these topics throughout the month of June. We are looking for an artist who would be available to come into the Tinkering workshop each Saturday and Sunday from 12-5 in June.
Imagination Station will help develop the ideas for the Tinkering Workshop - a process that will happen in late April through early May.
Imagination Station will cover the cost of supplies for guests in the Tinkering workshops, while the artist's personal work items will be paid for from the stipend.
- Teach the Imagination Station team and guests how to utilize the tools and techniques used in your work
- Work directly with the Imagination Station team and visitors to create new artwork at the science center.
Artists will typically complete their projects within 30 days. The amount of time spent at Imagination Station will vary depending on the project.
Saturdays offer the most potential for interacting with our visitors if that is part of your project. A typical day consists of 5 hours of visitor interaction and or art production for days you work onsite.
We look forward to welcoming talented and visionary artists to our team and exploring the exciting intersections of science and art. Please provide the following information in your application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artist name, address, phone number and email address
- A project proposal that outlines the overall scope of the project
- A timeline for the execution of the project
- A budget that details the time and materials needed to complete the project
- A brief artist statement (150 words or less) explaining how your work relates to science
- A portfolio of recent work (up to 10 jpg images) with descriptions
- A CV or artist's resume
Background checks will be completed on artists awarded this opportunity.
Application deadline: February 23, 2024
Notification: March 11, 2024
For more information, please contact:
Experience Development Manager